Saturday, October 4, 2014

October Chill


It's the first weekend in October, but it feels more like the last weekend of November.  Last night, the wind started blowing in from the northwest corner of the world, bringing with it falling temperatures and gusty rain.  Luckily, I have a good stash of dry firewood started--a warm fire in the evening hours keeps the house comfortable (and makes the resident house cat very pleased with herself, curled as close to the hearth as she can be).  If I turn on the oven to bake a loaf of bread or roast a fat chicken, the house stays cozy far into the next day.  And if that isn't an inducement to cook a little more often, I don't know what is!

Today, I'm heading south to Fountain City to visit a local organic flour mill to pick up a load of flours and grains.  I'm rather excited about this--I love a good adventure, plus I'm keen on trying out some locally stone-ground flours.  Tomorrow, I'll post some pictures.  Hopefully, the foggy start will give way to a beautiful fall day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!