Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A Bit of Vinegar





After making an insanely good batch of chunky applesauce, laden with brown sugar and cinnamon, I was left with a giant pile of apple cores and peelings.  I love my apple-peeler-corer-slicer, by the way.  One of the best kitchen gizmos I have ever invested in, hands down, no argument.  But, after you work through a bucket of apples, you have a bunch of sticky things to deal with.

Usually, I chuck them in to the chickens, but they were gluttons already with a bunch of weeds and pears tossed in by my neighbors.  So this time, I decided to try an experiment: I'm going to make my own vinegar.

I go through so much vinegar in a year, between canning, cooking and cleaning, that it is an appealing (heh heh, a-peeling) idea to make my own out of stuff I'd usually compost or feed to the hens. If it works, I will be one happy Chicken Lady.  If it doesn't, well, it goes on the compost heap anyway.  No big loss, and I am liking the idea of an experiment happening in my dark cupboard.  Stay tuned for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!