Monday, September 1, 2014

Green Salsa

My tomatillos, much like the tomatoes, have been doing great this season.  The peppers, not so much, so it's good that I dehydrated a lot from last year's bumper crop.  I've been able to combine them with the fresh tomatillos, shallots, and flat leaf parsley to make a batch of Salsa Verde.

Salsa Verde is fantastic, a very green salsa made simply from combining the aforementioned ingredients with a pinch of salt, white vinegar and a little water, and then allowing it all to simmer for an hour.  After that, a quick whizz with the immersion blender turns soft chunks into a smooth puree.  You can then can this mixture or put it into freezer-safe jars and store it in the freezer until needed.  I love adding this to my Green Rabbit Chili, or using it in posole-inspired Mexican Layered Lasagna. 

If you wind up with a lot of tomatillos, and too little time, you can always freeze the tomatillos whole (after removing their papery husks and giving them a rinse) and process them later.  I've made a great Salsa Verde in the middle of winter, using the crockpot set to warm overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!