Monday, August 11, 2014

Capturing the Sweet

It's the height of sweet corn season here in northwestern Wisconsin.  Every where you go, there's folks sitting on the side of the road, selling from the back of the old pick-up truck.  Roadside stands are filled to tumbling with fresh pulled ears, "14 ears for $5!" signs are staked out with arrows pointing the way to fresh sweet corn, just ahead.

I am not a huge fan of eating corn off the cob (I know, its mildly antipatriotic or something), but I love canned corn.  I especially love corn and bean salsa.  Each year, I tweak my personal recipe just a tad, in hopes of finding the elusive blend of sweet, hot, and beany that will make my tastebuds sing and taste just as good, canned and stored carefully away until the depths of winter are upon us.

I think I cracked it this year.

Corn and Bean Salsa, a la The Chicken Lady.
(Makes 6 delicious pints plus a little left over for sampling fresh--cook's perks!)

You'll need: 14 ears of corn, shucked and kernels cut from the cob;  1 large sweet onion, finely diced; 3 sweet peppers (red, orange, yellow), finely diced; 3 cups of beans, cooked to "just" tender and drained (this year, I used Anazai beans--they are wonderful!); 2 tablespoons each rice vinegar (unsweetened), cider vinegar, and balsamic vinegar; a couple hot peppers of your choice, finely diced (I opted for a favorite of mine, Cherry Bomb); 3 tablespoons canning salt; 2 tablespoons ground coriander.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, stirring gently to mix well but not smash beans or corn kernels. Spoon into sterilized, hot pint jars, leaving one inch headspace.  Don't pack the jars tightly, just loosely fill them to the one-inch-headspace mark. Wipe rims, and place hot lid & band on the jar.  Tighten to finger tight, and place jars into waiting pressure canner.  Bring pressure up to 11 pounds, and process for 75 minutes.  When canner is back to zero, open lid, take out jars, and allow to cool overnight.  Check seals, label them and store in a cool, dark area.

I've made this using black beans, and it's pretty good.  The combination of vegetables and three vinegars is wonderful--I'm definitely going to stick with this recipe!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds good - heading to R'land for some corn this week. And just where is my corn scraper, or whatever that long thing is called???

    JoyceP

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!