Thursday, July 24, 2014

On Soil

"A real gardener is not a man who cultivates flowers; he is a man who cultivates the soil...If he came into the Garden of Eden he would sniff excitedly and say: 'Good Lord, what humus!'

It's a constant cycle of rebuilding the soil in the garden.  Each season, the plants work their roots into the deep rich blackness and draw out the nutrients they need.  If I don't work in more compost, eventually the garden would lose its vigor.  Lucky for me, I have a constant supply of things to add to the compost heap.  Between rabbit poo, spent hay, and cuttings/weeding from the garden, its a great source of nutrition for the garden soil.  All I need to do is pile things up, stir it around occasionally, and wait.  After about a year, I'm left with a smaller pile of very rich, delightful compost that gets worked into the garden soil.  Then its back to the cycle of growing, harvesting, and returning back to the compost heap to start all over again.

I've found some really great resources on the internet for composting, as well as the classic Rodale Book of Composting (which I think of as the Compost Bible).  I highly recommend adding this particular book to your resource library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!