Friday, March 16, 2012

Time for Support Group?


Hi, my name is Cris.  I'm addicted to making mustard.

I can't stop myself from making it, because it tastes soooo much better than store-bought stuff in little, hermetically sealed jars, it is ridiculous.  And it's easy, really easy.  That's why it's become my addiction.  I can't seem to control my urge to break out a saucepan and a whisk, or buying large quantities of whole mustard seeds.  I have enough to stock a small pantry with enough mustard for four years...and I need more.  More, I tell you.

Do you think I have a problem?

Anyway, if I do, I think it is one I can live with.  Since yesterday, I have made four half-pints of dijon mustard that rivals even the fanciest jar of Grey Poupon.  Remember how I mentioned earlier that it is easy to make?  It really, really, really is easy.  Plus, while making it, you can usually snaffle a glass of wine for yourself, which makes the whisking go by so much faster.  My kitchen smells all kind of mustard-y wonderful.  Mmmmm!  There is nothing like a good mustard, slathered on a sandwich, dipped onto a pretzel, sniffed to clear a stuffy nose...well, maybe stick to horseradish mustard for that application!  But dijon mustard, now...that is so compatible with so many, many things.  I used a hearty slathering on some pork shoulder steaks I cooked up for dinner last night, and I have a hankering to try a fancy-dancy French recipe called Lapin a la Dijonaise (rabbit in mustard sauce). 

Never tried making mustard yourself?  Maybe you need to try whipping up a batch of dijon mustard for your own fridge!

Dijon Mustard a la Home-made

You will need:  2 cups good quality white wine (I used a nice Marcus Jacobs chardonnay); 1 small onion, minced; 3 cloves garlic, minced; 1/2 cup ground mustard (of good quality, please!); 3-4 drops of tabasco sauce; a good pinch of kosher salt; 2 Tablespoons honey; 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
Bring the wine to a boil in a sauce pan.  Add the minced onion and garlic, and boil for five minutes.  Strain out the onion and garlic, and discard.  Return the wine to the sauce pan, and bring back to a boil.  Using a whisk, add the mustard powder and beat until smooth.  Whisking constantly, add the tabasco, salt, honey and olive oil.  Whisk and allow to boil gently for about five minutes.  Remove sauce pan from heat, allow to cool.  Mustard will thicken as it cools.  Pour into a jar with a nice tight lid, and it will survive in your fridge for about 6 months (if it lasts that long).

Someone pass me a pretzel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!