Monday, March 19, 2012

Oh, Sap.


You may remember my sap-tapping project, where I put my box elders to work this spring and hoped for the best.

This is what three gallons of box elder sap boils down to:  about 2/3 cup of fragrant, golden syrup.  It looks like browned butter (which is fantastic on top of baked potatoes and steamed asparagus, by the way), but smells like the best of maple syrup.  I only wish there was more...but given the very odd winter we've had, where there was a serious lack of snowfall, I suppose I am lucky to have gathered that much sap.  I only had two taps, too, so all in all I consider this experiment a success.

I can hardly wait for next year's maple syrup season.  If I gather five gallons of sap then, I bet I could have an entire HALF-PINT of syrup.

 Boy howdy. 

There's an embarrassment of riches for you.

2 comments:

  1. I just heard that alot of the people that have maple syrup usually will not be having any because of the warmer weather! Better grab your maple syrup fast this year!
    I have never heard of doing the box elders! Does it taste way different then? Why don't more people do other trees, other than maple? hmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Box elder is closely related to maples, and the syrup tastes nearly the same. In fact, I know folks who collect box elder syrup along with maples and boil it all down together. This came out so yellow because the sugar value was low, due to the poor season. You can tap birch trees, which make a darker, slightly bitter syrup that reminds me a lot of blackstrap molasses in flavor. I think we may see maple syrup hoarding this year...I know I plan to get my gallons quick!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!