Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A New Day

You, dear reader, will be happy to know that I am feeling much better.

Still headachey, still "a bit squiffy", but all in all, I remained upright and non-vomitous during work hours.  I even managed to head out to the garden afterward, and enjoy some sunshine while playing in the dirt before repeated bending resulted in a touch of nausea.  Flu notwithstanding, it was a lovely afternoon to be outside.  The birds were singing, kids were playing, dogs were barking, one of my neighbors was busily mowing down the 1/8th inch of growth from his lawn.  Ahh, spring in a small village filled with lawn obsessed neurotic norwegians.  There's nothing quite like the roar and rattle of a lawn tractor filling an otherwise peaceful afternoon.

Today was the day to clear off a portion of the luxurious growth of Creeping Charlie (aka common ground mint) that seems to be in love with my garden.  If it was a cash crop, I'd be King.  Too bad you can't sell it on the black market.

Hmm.  Maybe you can?  Folks seem to smoke nearly anything these days.

Note to self:  Research halucinogenic properties of Creeping Charlie.

Second note to self:  Reassure any agents from the DEA lurking in cyberspace alert for any mention of black market, drugs or halucinogens that I am really not serious about becoming the next Drug Czar of Prairie Farm.  Really.

Anyhoo, I dug and scraped and discovered that my one hoe is defunct.  I routinely kill my gardening implements.  I don't think I am that hard on them.  I am likely just not taking care of them.  But how much care does a $10 hoe require?  Then again, it could be like my mania with toasters.  I kill toasters every six months of so.  Who knew it was wrong to want your toast, toasty?  Apparently I am to only want it pale and limp and non-toasty.  Blech.

Back to the garden:  removal of Charlie was a success.  I was left with two smallish beds, of luscious dark rich soil (once my compost heap was where these beds are now),  where I will soon plant garlic, horseradish and asparagus.  Just imagine, a whole bunch of THIS waiting for picking:





Ooooh.  Ahhhh.  Who needs halucinogens when you can take a whiff off freshly grated horseradish?  Hoooeeeee.  No need for Sinutabs, either.

2 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!