Thursday, March 29, 2012

I Only Stopped for Dog Treats.


But somehow, I came home with these as well.

Yes, folks, it is the time of the Spring Impulse Buy.  Some women buy shoes.  Other women, a cute sassy skirt.  Me?  I buy a dozen chicks from Tractor Supply.

It is true.  I have no will-power to resist the cuteness of a chick.  One peeep-peep and I am lost.

I took six of Rhode Island Reds, egg laying Queens of the Universe, and the other half dozen of something called "Amber Links".   The nice girl at Tractor Supply had no idea what they were, but a quick search at www.feathersite.com revealed that it is a Rhode Island Red crossed with a White Plymouth Rock.  They should grow up to be white with some amber-brown colored feathers.  Oooh, pretty!  Both will lay large brown eggs in prolific quantities.

When thinking of egg colors, I always flashback to the egg advertisment I heard while growing up in New Hampshire in the 1980s:

Brown eggs---are local eggs,
And local eggs--are fresh!

It used to run alongside the bread commercial with Ted Williams in it.  Remember that, New Englanders?? 

In other news, I have now decided that my once-used-for-meat-birds shed will now be converted to a second hen house for these future layers.  My egg-buying fans will be delighted.  (Of course, we all need to be patient and wait until September to expect our first eggs.)  I am already plotting the outdoor run configuration and sliding access doors. 

Oh yay, another project.  I was beginning to feel bereft of things to do.  Silly me.

3 comments:

  1. ooh I want some!!!!
    Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had a tub full of "assorted bantams" as well, but I resisted.

      Delete
  2. Six buff orpingtons and six "assorted bantams" followed me home from Tractor Supply last Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!