Thursday, March 8, 2012

Howling at the Moon


Happy Full Worm Moon!

According to the Farmer's Almanac, the full moon during the month of March is known as the Full Worm Moon.  Here's why:

 As the temperature begins to warm and the ground begins to thaw, earthworm casts appear, heralding the return of the robins. The more northern tribes knew this Moon as the Full Crow Moon, when the cawing of crows signaled the end of winter; or the Full Crust Moon, because the snow cover becomes crusted from thawing by day and freezing at night. The Full Sap Moon, marking the time of tapping maple trees, is another variation. To the settlers, it was also known as the Lenten Moon, and was considered to be the last full Moon of winter.

Pretty neat, isn't it?  I know the old Almanac isn't considered by many to be very scientific, but it sure is chock-full of interesting information.  I don't think I'm going to see earthworm castings in my yard anytime soon, but the crows seem to be back and the sap is running.  Maybe there is some truth to the old sayings? 

All I really know is the full moon always makes me have the strangest dreams.  Last night, for example, I dreamt I was walking in the desert.  It was really cold, and I kept hearing little whispering voices...but I didn't see anybody around.  It wasn't scary, just odd.  And then there were toadstools all over the sand, which was really confusing....I don't remember much more than that, but see what I mean?  Very strange dreams.

Just for fun, I looked up the symbolism of my dream on www.dreammoods.com

According to their dream dictionary, to dream of a desert means I am feeling lost and abandoned, possibly suffering an attack on my reputation.  To dream of hearing whispers means that I need to listen more carefully to what someone may be trying to tell me, or that I am fearful that people are talking behind my back.  To dream of toadstools, it represents unhealthy pleasures and unwise decisions being made in my waking life, and the need to appreciate the things that I have rather than focus on what I don't.

Holy crow.  Here I was thinking it was just a strange dream.  Apparently, it is the root of some major psychological conflict.  Yikes.

Maybe I just need a vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!