Sunday, March 11, 2012

How Do I Know it's Spring?

Let me count the ways:

(1)  The girls are sporting new bling on their coop.

Aren't these the coolest garden flags?  I found a small set of three purple (purple!) chicken flags at a great little gallery in Bayfield, WI.  Of course, three tiny flags were not nearly enough, so I tracked down the artist at her etsy shop and worked out a deal to order another set of three purple chicken flags, plus a set of these rainbow darlings.  I do believe that the girls are quite pleased with their snazzy spring decor.

www.etsy.com/shop/windsparrowstudio

(2)  My sap gathering project is running like a tap.

 In the past two days, I have collected nearly a gallon of sap from my box elder trees.  I'm storing it in a plastic bucket, until I get a few more gallons, and then I'll set up an outside burner and start to boil it down into syrup.  It is supposed to be a very warm and springy week, so I think I'll be able to get enough to start boiling by the weekend.


(3)  My home is once again lakefront property. 

 Each year, the melting snow makes a lake appear in the cornfield across the way.  As you can see, it gets a little close to the top of the bank (usually, it's a good five feet down a slope until you hit the field).  One year, it even flooded one of the trailer homes in the court.  Time to break out the canoe, I think.  No geese landing yet, but there are usually at least one or two that try it out for fun before it dries up.




(4)  The buds on the apple and plum trees are starting to swell. 

In a few more weeks, hopefully plenty of blossoms will emerge.  I should get some fruit this year on at least one apple, and both of the more mature plums.  Keep your fingers crossed that we don't wind up with a late, hard frost!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!