Monday, April 18, 2011

Status Update on the Chicks

They are doing better! There is still a teensy bit of wheezing and sneezing, but they seem to be more interested in doing things other than parking their little feathered butts under the heat lamps and staying there for hours. I believe their appetites are back, as the food is disappearing at an alarming rate. And they don't seem bothered by the gatorade-yellow water--I don't know what exactly is in this powdered antibiotic, but it is seriously yellow. The chicks are drinking it down, so I don't think it tastes bad or anything. It just looks a little nuclear. A few of the chicks have swollen feet and wing joints, but they can walk again. Well, mostly walk. Once in a while, a chick will fall over suddenly, peep in anger, and lash out at the nearest chick in retaliation. I think the fallen chick seriously believes that he was pushed, dammit, and somebody is gonna pay. Poor thing! It was his own big honking swollen toe that put him off kilter, and down he went, but who am I to explain logic to a three week old chick? I wish I could say that the weather is perking up as nicely as my chicks are. It is cold here again, with snow predicted overnight. I am really hoping that it doesn't wind up being much. I am so very tired of winter, and spring doesn't seem to be coming any time soon. (Remind me of this whining about cold weather when it is 90 degrees in July and I am pining for chilly breezes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!